02 August 2007

Parenting

I don't have much to say about this article on how American parents play with their children. I'm cogitating.

I've long noted that my generation (I'm 45) seems to have stretched childhood out a helluva lot further than our parents did. That can't be ignored in decyphering the secrets of good parenting.

Also, while the article makes a backhanded attempt at saying the children of low-income families aren't necessarily getting bad parenting, again, an important point is missed: the hunter/gatherer cultures that are referenced have waaaaaay more leisure time than the working poor. In fact, hunter/gatherers have lots and lots of leisure time. They invented art and writing and cities and animal husbandry and farming and all that stuff that we think of as civilization.

Anyway. Cogitating.

No comments: