07 May 2007

Not all cultures are of equal value

German courts are not altogether clear on this yet.

Remember when the Taliban destroyed the giant statues of Buddha and everyone talked about how terrible it was? I asked then, and ask now, why is it wrong for members of a religion that condemns idolatry to destroy idols? But they were somebody else's idols, you whine. Of course they were somebody else's idols -- anti-idolaters don't have idols.

H.L. Menken, that sweet, kindly old man, said "We must respect the other fellow's religion,but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The way I've always said it is:

"I don't have to respect your religion; I have to respect your right to believe any damn fool thing you want to. That doesn't mean I can't point out how foolish it is, or laugh at you for believing it."