15 June 2007

My copy has endnotes

Seems that Andrew Ferguson, a writer for the Washington Post, hates Al Gore. Hates him so much, in fact, that he made up stuff about Gore's recent book, The Assault on Reason. seems that Mr. Ferguson didn't like the fact that the book had no footnotes. It's got endnotes but I'm imagining that Mr. Ferguson didn't read that far. He seems to have gotten to page 88, where there is a Lincoln quote that Mr. Ferguson believes to be unreferenced. It isn't. But that doesn't stop the media in their never-ending quest to take one of the men most qualified to be president of the United States (and who won the election in 2000 despite their efforts) and make him seem like something he isn't.

Why do you think the media feels this way about Gore? Is it because he's handsome? And rich? And smarter than they are? And that he's got a good-looking wife? And a heart? Did I mention that he's smarter than they are?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This happens for two reasons:

1. Making shit up about candidates and covering the horserace/ personality issues means you don’t have to do anywhere *near* as much work. You don’t even have to leave your desk (which you don’t have time for anyway because of all the cutbacks at your paper) and you still get a paycheck.

2. You can’t attack Republicans without being bombarded with complaints from the most vocal nutcases in the United States, so it’s best to leave them alone.

Between those two, we’re pretty fucked.

Oh, and as an aside, when are the press going to stop calling our leading presidential candidate by her first name?

tony said...

I just found out that I can't edit comments. Or at least I don't know how.

Not that I was going to change Greg's comment, I was just going to append my response comment to his actual comment.

Well.

I'm guilty of calling Mrs. Clinton "Hillary," probably because I've always called Pres. Clinton "Bill." But, you're right, the media needs to show a certain amount of respect.

Though her bumper stickers do say "HILLARY!"

Anonymous said...

The reason they say Hillary! is that she doesn't plan to ride his coat-tails into office. She is going to win or lose on her own.