18 June 2007

This never occured to me

I hadn't thought through all the implications of Bush's call for more ethanol fuel. My analysis stopped at: so he's aiming for world-wide starvation and environmental degradation. Hunh. Seems mighty short-sighted and even dangerous but it wasn't a terribly surprise that he was proposing something he hadn't thought through.

I just didn't consider that I hadn't thought it far enough through and that it could be construed as simple political cover for the obscene profits that the oil companies (his patrons) are making. They can simply whine that it would be foolish for them to build more refinery capacity if the US is expected to cut consumption of gasoline by 20%. In fact, the ethanol push practically guarantees that gasoline prices will skyrocket and the oil companies can wring their hands and bemoan the burden on the poor, poor consumer, but what are the supposed to do?

No comments: