27 September 2006

Black guy kills white cop in Mississippi

This oughta be open and shut, right?

But, my god, there's so much going on in this article that it's difficult to incorporate it all into a coherent analysis.

Let's see, first off, it's a conservative/libertarian web site. Okay.

The governor of Mississippi doesn't *believe* in pardons or clemency? What?? That's part of his goddamn job. I'll bet he had to take an oath to uphold the laws and constitution of Mississippi and I'll bet it says the governor is the last-ditch, no-hope-left, get-me-out-of-this appeal.

The guy they were after has never been charged?

I know it's Mississippi but I've learned a lot in the last 6 years and I no longer accept claims that officials are racists without some supporting evidence. Analysed evidence. Not even in Mississippi.

And then there is the whole thing about the militarization of the police and the war on drugs. I wish that James Ellroy would write one more "LA Quartet" novel so we could see the early days of the LA SWAT team.

No comments: