23 October 2006

Trudeau profile

I don't talk about comics here very often. In general, there are plenty of people blogging about comics and a lot of them do it better than I ever could. I blog about politics because I think the more screaming the more likely someone might here.

This piece is about art and comics and politics and sanity. All near and dear to me. I've always had this image of Trudeau as some sort of hateful, self-centered recluse. I'm going to assume, based on this profile, that I was wrong.

I remember the day that the "B.D. is wounded" sequence began. I thought that Trudeau had killed him. And I was hurt. I probably e-mailed a lot of you about it. I found my chest tightening over the death of a fictional character. And it turned out not to be the case anyway but it was one of the most powerful comic strips I'd ever read. And two of the four panels were black.

Trudeau should be rated with Herriman, Seegar, and Kelly. He has made the comic strip into art and has sustained it over decades. And kept a measure of popularity that Herriman never achieved. That is exceedingly rare.

No comments: