04 March 2007

I think the glowing rabbit crossed some kind of line...

...but doing stuff to bacteria or your own cells is utterly and completely ethical. And I realize that eating meat and objecting to the rabbit is hypocritical. I've been working on my animal rights issues for a long time and I just keep coming back to the status of homo sapiens as a top predator. This is probably just selfishness and egocentricity and I'm still working on it.

This also returns to my observation that when you start messing with genes (cloning or insertion of "alien" genetic material into organisms or etc), the media assumes the stance that there is an ethical controversy. I've yet to get anyone to offer a reasoned explanation of what is wrong with these kinds of activities. Why is reproductive cloning assumed, a priori, to be wrong? Further, without the media creating the controversy, I suspect that public opinion polls would reflect a giant shrug and an "I dunno and I don't really care" on the part of the American people when asked their opinions on these kinds of subjects.

No comments: