04 March 2007

"possible torso"??

Read the second paragraph. Do they not teach journalists how to write anymore? I'm pretty sure that I could identify a hunk of meat as a human torso. I also know what the 'graph is supposed to be saying but the argument that the meaning is clear is the argument made by people that don't know how to write copy.

"Accepted usage" is a real problem for me. I hear people claiming that languages grow and evolve and that we don't talk like Chaucer did and that there shouldn't be a problem with changes in usage. There's a flaw in that argument: we're a literate society. Once the majority of people in a particular language group can read and write, the rules should become pretty inflexible, I would think (and hope).

As to the article, the authorities are charging him with disinterment? I'm not sure where that charge is coming from unless he buried her himself and then dug her up and it hardly seems fair to charge him for that.

No comments: