14 March 2007

We live in a science fiction universe #45,876

As my pal Greg remarked, this was less scary when it was just a Philip K. Dick story.

One of my (many) perennial problems when I served my years on the Little Rock School Board was my compulsive need to point out to education PhDs that we know almost nothing about how learning takes place. When the mouse scientists figure out how this drug works, i.e. what chemical process it is interfering with exactly, then it'll be a lot easier to give mice (and then kids) a shot of the good stuff in order to insure that they don't forget things.

Will there be howls of indignation sent up by the right? And the left? And purt' near everbidy else? Oh, yeah. But they won't be able to give a good, coherent argument as to why they're arguing against making children learn. I'm looking forward to it.

No comments: